What you should know
When is it time to replace your gutters?
Changing and replacing your gutters can prevent a lot bigger and more expensive issues with your home. Yet, it can be hard to tell when it’s time to replace your rain gutters and downspouts. Gutters might not be the first area that comes to mind when considering issues that can lead to severe damage to your home. However, there are a host of issues that can present themselves if older gutters are not replaced when warning signs arise.
While a firsthand inspection is obviously the preferred method of detecting issues, there are plenty of other warning signs for which you should look to determine if your home or structure might be in need of reguttering.
- Sagging gutters or bowing of the gutter itself
- Gutters pulling away from roof line brackets
- Pooling or puddles of water in spots under or around gutters
- Rusted or rotted spots on or around guttered areas
- Home flooding or seepage
- Exterior paint damage
- Siding and trim damage
- Lack of water flow from downspouts
Warning Signs of Gutter Damage
The deterioration and damaging of gutters are often a slow and gradual process that can occur over years. Which this means that during this time, the effects of a malfunctioning gutter can slowly be taking a toll on other areas of your home as well without you ever knowing it. A few of the major, more costly issues a breakdown in your gutter system can cause include:
- Siding or Trim damage
- Rotten Wood
- Peeling, flaking, missing exterior paint
- Termite or similar bug infestations from rotting wood
- Seepage into a structure causing interior damage, flooding, foundation weakening
- Seepage into a neighboring structure
- Mold or mildew issues
- Standing water in yard or driveway
Types of Damage if Gutters are not replaced
By replacing gutters on a home, these types of damages can largely be avoided. The cost of reguttering your home significantly less than the cost of repairs on damages like these, plus a lot fewer headaches as well. By reguttering a structure before these types of issue present themselves, you can ensure peace of mind when leaving your home for an extended period or when weathering Texas torrential downpours. The added bonus of reguttering is that you generally add to the appeal and value to your home, which is the single most important investment generally made.